129. 28th March 2010. Post Ului and other wanderings…

Last weekend was a long post on the comings and finally a going, of cyclone Ului.

Oh, by the way where did the name Ului come from? I’m glad you asked.

When a cyclone forms from a tropical low, the nation in whose territorial waters the cyclone formed, have the naming rights. The cyclone formed way out in the South Pacific in Fijian tropical waters. That explains the unusual name. Each named cyclone takes turn about being named after a male or female.

The power came back to The  Pocket sometime on Tuesday and full mobile telephone coverage returned on Thursday evening.

Donnis and I managed to get the trees off the house and garage roof’s and our neighbour Stan and his friend Dennis called around Tuesday and cut the trees into maneagable lengths. Thanks Stan & Dennis.

At the office on Monday we used a generator for lights and computers. No AC or phones. Two mobile phones were working. We got lots of claim calls. Surprisingly we got lots of non claim calls. Some calls were about taking out travel insurance, not urgent and although we explained we had just gone through a cyclone, had limited communications they still insisted on talking and tying up the mobile phones and making it difficult for urgent claim calls to get through.


It has rained on and off all week with most rain falling in the Pioneer Valley, about 600mls since Saturday night. Thats 2 feet in the old language still in use in some english speaking countries.

Of course my daughter Melissa, being Melissa, went out in the rain to attend to her horses. She lives on a hill overlooking Finch Hatton in the Pioneer Valley. She got very wet and cold. She now has bronchitus and although very sick insists she will be driving to Brisbane and taking two horses to compete in a cross country endurance event. I was her age once and probably did crazy stuff like that as well.

Yesterday and today we have spent most waking hours  cleaning up the yard and piling all the tree parts in a huge pile. We still have to figure a way to get rid of it.

Next weekend it is Easter and I am insisting we take WWWGO, somewhere!!! It has sat idle since the first week of December and I am itching to go camp out. I am planning on taking the Weber Charcoal Barbecue and will cook a whole chicken Tandoori style. I am fearful the weather will not co-operate and there will be some rain although with all the rain we have had already this year, many of the waterfalls up north will be in full roaring spectacular display.

I thought I would share a little more of the wrap up from Cyclone Ului last week.

At the Port of Airlie worksite there is a huge crane. You will have seen photos of it in previous posts. Sometimes the crane arm hangs out over the main road, Shute Harbour Road. I feel uncomfortable when this happens, especially when it happens on a weekend. Last Saturday, the last time I saw the crane, the arm was pointing to the north, away from the road and I was at peace with it. Sunday morning the crane was hanging over the road and “what the”!!! The arm was twisted. Not a lot, not buckled but a definate twist. The crane has not operated this week. For good reason. On Sunday morning there was also something hanging from the control cabin. It will be one serious repair job and will probably require another crane and dismantling.

Crane over Port of Airlie.

Here is the crane on Sunday morning, pointing over the main road with a twist in the arm.

Some of the sad sights greeting a boat owner was to find their pride and joy still attached to the mooring, only to find the boat and the mooring washed up on the rocks. Worse, it is still attached but has not moved. It has been battered in the one spot, filled with water and flipped upside down. The forces must have been incredible to do the following damage to a catamaran.

The blue part is the anti fouling on the bottom of the hulls. The pointy bits are of course the bows. The reason it has not sunk completely is it is sitting on the bottom and air trapped in the bows is keeping it afloat.

Of course the other very sad sight is for the boat owner who normally lives aboard. It is their home and all their possessions are aboard.

Here is one such live aboard.

Live aboard. All the boat owners had a week of warning to get into a marina or head north. Now everything they own is pretty much destroyed

Sunday morning we saw the families trying to retrieve their possessions from the beach and place them in a pile of what can be saved. The rest turns into floating rubbish.

Beach littered with what was once treasured personal possessions and functioning equipment.

Life is getting back to normal.

See ya next week.


I am looking forward to your comment. Any questions.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: